Thursday, April 2, 2009

Garden: 2009

Hooray for gardens!
Finally got to start in my garden plots last weekend.
Took over 2hrs to turn it all over and twine off my plots (I have two plots in a community garden: 200 sq ft of gardens this year!) but alas - I love to be outside, smelling dirt - thinking about all the goodies I hope to harvest later this summer!

My garden last year flooded, flooded, flooded. It was quite devastating; especially considering the cash I dumped into it (I bought all starter plants last year).

This year is different - starting from seeds - indoor and out!
I started 36 plants from seed this past weekend (4 each of: 4 tomato varities, serrano peppers, jalapenos, bell peppers, thyme and basil) and they started sprouting (hardly) yesterday - and I am SO excited! I've been like a little kid checking and re-checking for growth! None of my peppers have sprouted yet but as of tonight everything else has!

Turns out it's a big, fat pain in the ass to "harden" the plants to the outdoors when you start 'em from seed indoors: we'll have to see how this all goes; but it's also very exciting to learn too! I make soup like crazy throughout the fall, winter, spring and I hope to get an ton of 'maters and learn how to can them and/or turn them into sauce etc. to use in my soup next season! The gardens are all organic (as am I!) and all the seeds I bought and my fertilizer etc is all organic so it will hopefully work out quite well!

Here are a few pics of the beginnings!
(apparently I uploaded them in opposite order of what I wanted: guess what? not changing it...).








No comments: